A grilled cheese is a sandwich, right? Well yes, but no, not at all. This isn’t just a boring sandwich you eat with a bag of chips. Let me tell you, this is a grilled cheese. Total comfort food in a package you can grip with both hands. This is my make-it-all-better sandwich.
A thick slice of hamsteak, melted crispy Dutch Gouda cheese, red onions, thin slices of green apple, and of course our one bowl buns.
The green apple and red onion is just perfect together. This combo is the best of friends, in your mouth. Peanut butter to my jelly, beanies to my weanies, leggo to my eggo. All the flavors melded together, a grownup grilled cheese for those days when you need it. Heaven.
First, start off by slicing your green apple, onion, and cheese so they are ready to go when you need it. I used a mandolin even though those things scare me. Not sure why. But get everything about yea big:
Heat up your ham on the griddle.
Slide the cheese underneath the ham to get melted and a little bit crispy.
add another slice of cheese and the bottom of the bun on top.
Flip the whole thing over so you can add your apples and onions.
Put the top of the bun on and use a press until all the cheese is melted.
- 2 slices of cheese (I used Dutch Gouda)
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 small green apple, sliced
- 1 bun
- Warm hamsteak.
- Place a thick slice of cheese under ham and let it get melted and a little crispy.
- Add another slice of cheese and the bottom bun on top of the ham.
- Flip the sandwich over so the the bottom bun is now on the bottom.
- Add apple slices, onion, and the top of the bun.
- Press until bottom layer of cheese is melted.