Mountain Man decided he needed panna cotta for his birthday.(He’s not a big cake fan.) Good thing we had just received some fresh vanilla beans from Mountain Rose Herbs a few days before.
This is such a simple and decadent dessert. I always see this item on higher end menus and wondered why. They trick you I say! It’s so much easier to make than I ever thought! If you’ve never tried this wonderful creation, you simply must make it for yourself. I promise you are missing something in your life.
Split the vanilla bean using a knife and scrape the seeds and contents into your mixing container.
Combine the almond milk and the gelatin.
Cream, sugar, and vanilla, yum!
Before we chilled it in the fridge, I have to admit, we poured the whole batch into two tumbler glasses…. it’s sooo good….
We garnished them with a sprig of fresh mint and a bit of the vanilla bean. A splash of cognac or rum on top would be delightful as well.
- 2 Cups whipping cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ vanilla bean
- 1 ¼ teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 ½ teaspoons almond milk
- Split the vanilla bean and scrape out the contents. In a saucepan, combine cream, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds. Bring to a simmer then remove from heat and let it steep for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine the gelatin and almond milk, stir to combine and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Heat the vanilla mixture to a simmer again and remove from heat. Add the gelatin mixture and stir until dissolved. Discard the vanilla bean from mixture (you can save it for another time.)
- Pour the mixture into 4 glasses and let it cool until room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and let it set in the fridge for 3 hours or until set. Top with a sprig of mint and serve.